Monday, August 3, 2009

What defines us?

The Lake District in England is very hilly with streams flowing down hills and lambs wondering. These things are probably what defines it as an amazing, beautiful place. If it was not for Beatrix Potter, a lot of that wonderful land would not be here today. She bought up a lot of land with the money she had made from her famous children's stories and then left that land to be preserved.
Yesterday, at church, it was said, "Don't let a bad circumstance or pain define who we are." If I think of the many great leaders and soldiers, what defined them was the decision that in bad times they turned and made something of it. The many soldiers that have received the red cross, I bet, if you asked them, at times, thought everything was lost. Christ's defining moment was on the cross when He thought of all of us. He simply stretched out his arms and reached our lives. I think, if we reach out our hands to Christ that that will be our defining moment.
As I ponder this statement, I wonder where God will take my life. Will my defining moment be stuck in the past or bad times? It is really my choice if I ask God to make my defining moment one of no regret but victory, then all was not in vain.
It is like walking up a mountain, the defining moment is when you reach the top.
So where ever you are today, let your defining moment be of not regret but of victory. As a good friend said, "So all can stand and be proud of who you have become, no regrets, no fear but of Hope."
Please have a cup of tea with me today.

1 comment: