Sunday, August 9, 2009

Does a picture really say a thousand words?

They say that a picture says a thousand words. But does it? The drawing of my children, by looking at the it, would you know that the shirts had just been sent to us, that England was in the world cup, I believe that year, that it took quite a few photos to get that one photo, and how many more hours for Sharon, my friend, to draw it? Or the drawing of me when I was fourteen. My parents were going through difficult times, the shirt was borrowed and the necklace was too. My eyes were cross eyed, I asked the artist to make them look straight, and I hated my new short hair. How about my mother's colored tinted photo? Did you know someone paid for that picture to be colored tinted which was very popular among the wealthy in the 1930's? They also paid for the dress she was wearing and several other exspensive dresses that were bought that day. So perhaps, a picture does not tell a thousand words. Perhaps, it is only in a picture of the cross that a whole story is really told of a man who thought of only others and gave it all for us. The day I had my picture done, it was all about me. But the day the cross was nailed and a single man was placed on the cross, it was nothing about him.
So as I type this, think about where your life is. As my Pastor said today, "It is nothing about us but all about Him." My picture has changed, as I am not the fourteen year old today, but Christ's picture never changes. He offers the same today as He did on the day He went to the cross which is Hope, love, eternity and so much grace. His picture says a thousand words of Love for us. It was nothing about Him.
Please have a cup of tea with me today.

1 comment: