Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Be Brave Parents

Well, today has come, and my girls are back at school. My husband made the fantastic posters that he does each year for them, and photos were taken while Mummy held back the tears. In the next few weeks, many of us will be sending our children off to school or college, none is easy. When my oldest turned five, I wrote a poem so today I am sharing that with you as well as a new one I have written for this year. Enjoy.

"My Baby Turned Five Today"

My baby turned five today,
five fingers held up high.
"That's what I am," you proudly said.
No more singing songs or fancy dress.
No more every day a play day, just you and I.
All of a sudden, five means no time.
You're off to school.
Someone else will dictate your time.
The house will be empty without you.
And I'll be counting down the time until I see you.
But five means five hugs, five kisses as you go off to school.
In truth, you're growing up like each child has to do.
Five means more of you to cuddle.
Girl I'm proud of you.
You're braver than I ever was.
Today, you might be five.
But to me, you will always be my baby.

"Both Grown Up and Off to School, Mummy Must be Brave"

My children are now seven and thirteen.
Book packs all packed, off to second and seventh grade.
Hair all tied back.
Mummy picks out the clothes for one, the other is all grown up,
"Mummy, I'll do it myself this year."
No longer walking to the class,
It's second year in Middle School and so not cool to walk your once baby into school.
But at least, they say that I am the "cool Mum".
The other child's teacher says, "Let her walk in by herself."
Mummy has to grow up and let them find their own way.
So now, the tables are turned, and I have to be brave.
Remember girls that I will always be praying that God protects and leads you along life's way.
And always remember girls that I am so proud of both of you.
You're both braver than I ever was.
Today, you might be seven and thirteen,
But to me, you both will always be my babies.

So whether you have children or not, take the time to encourage a parent. Have a cup of tea with them. We all need each other.
Please have a cup of tea with me today.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, Lisa... thanks for making me cry. Those were precious.... :)

    ReplyDelete