Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Christmas past, present, change the future your choice

Ever watched something that made you stop and think I saw a video posted on Facebook today it was extremely touching and made me cry. I have not spent a Christmas with my Dad since I was fifteen, I beat he would be surprised if I said that amount of years, my mum the last Christmas I believe I spent with her I was eighteen. I am now forty eight you do the maths that's a lot of years. Yet Christmas to me as a child was often people arguing over the tellie yet there were so many good memories too. Second weekend in December go and get the Christmas tree from Felbrigg Hall, or when we lived in Norwich go window shopping in the city. Carol singing at Cromer church for the school Christmas carol service, or least we forget caroling at Aylmerton local Parrish church where the minister blew his nose rather loudly with Hark the Herald Angel causing my Dad, brother and myself to be in fits of laughter and the minister stopping the whole church to say " when you three have stopped we will continue". Let's not forget the many pantomimes we saw in Norwich and the silly jokes that were read from the Christmas crackers that were pulled during the Christmas holidays. Thursford freezing cold nights to hear the Christmas performance, buying food in Cromer and then my mum she made the best Christmas meal. Salt beef was ordered in from the Thank you Thank you very much grocery bless that ladies heart she said thank you so much we called her that very name. Dad brought his sherry etc and placed it in the globe which housed the alcohol and glasses so many pretty glasses there was there so dainty. Going to Norwich and walking through the Cathedral and down Elm Hill. Mum made a feast for royalties, making mince meat in the summer and making Christmas cake and Christmas pudding she would fed the cake rum or brandy from October onwards. Turkey smell filled the house on Christmas morning, she was amazing at roast potatoes and such it was awesome. I sit here seeing the feast she was truly the Julia Childs or Mrs Beeton in our house. My Dad and I would often sit singing songs or listening to the old familiar record that gran had given us. I have a copy of that today and wonder how on earth I listened to it but it was my Christmas. The carriage Christmas lights the pillow cases with our names on that we had made as children to house our gifts and open on Mum and dad's bed and Christmas tree gifts on the tree. such silly things as paint brushes and socks. Each of our rooms decorated when I use to share a room with my sister she would make a tree or a father Christmas house from crepe paper all items had been copied from Blue Peter a show we watched as children. All distant memories yet as I sit here and type I remember the towns and the villages of North Norfolk the smells of home fires and the wet soggy leaves under my feet as I walked home down the twirling drive of Silver Firs. This was my life and one I never cared to think what would Christmas be like to share it with mum and Dad when I grew older. I did not care after their divorce I tried with my mum but when I moved to the States my life was oh so far away. Now I wished I could be there a single mum watching a video and knowing that there is nothing I can do to get me and my girls home for Christmas other than jack up the credit card and not pay bills and then listen to people say how incompetent I was. I would love to show up on their doors hug them tight make them a Christmas meal like they so many times did me. Sing carols and feel the cold damp leaves under my feet hear the carols sung in the cathedrals and churches for once be Home for Christmas. I will have to say Christmas is always hard for me, it is not the same in the states. If you can be home for Christmas or if you have odds against your family make a new beginning change the future. It is the greatest gift a human can ever give another. http://m.omeleto.com/218504/ http://www.newfrontierchronicle.org/reconnecting-with-dad/ Love you Mum and Dad I wish we were home for Christmas. Praying that God allows us one day to spend just one more with you both.

No comments:

Post a Comment