Sunday, September 16, 2018

Immortalizing a WWII into something that it was not.

As I looked at pictures of the fun in some of the small towns in North Norfolk celebrating 1940s and listened to a ladies group who sings songs from WWII who was on Britain's Got Talent, I had to reflect on what my mum had said about the war. As we look back at history and see the clothes and family unit of war time Britain, have we forgotten those children who were sent to far off countries and places to get away from the war, many treated badly many although leaving war time England in fact ventured into a new war for their lives miles from home: those evacuees truly missed out on their childhood. Many children like my mum still to this day remember the images of the planes and bombs being dropped, never to be erased from their minds. Yet we dress up and celebrate this time period. Are we as human beings making light of how many families suffered, or are we commemorating the bravery of many? I think it is a hard one to say. Before talking with my mum these passed few days, I used to think it would be fun to dress up and go to one of those events but as I listened last night to a song sung by "The D-Day Darlings" a song sung by Vera Lynn "There'll Be Blue Birds Over," I took to heart each of the words being sung. It is so easy to not listen to the elderly to forget how much they have gone through and easily forget and often make light of many time periods in our history, I think it is good to reflect to and remember that what we make light of today was really very serious. My mum survived but, like many, the scars did too, if anything I think of when I see people celebrating the 1940s I think of all those who served, all those who did not come home, all those who did so much to keep this world safe and in that I am so thankful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vDFKba_WDE

No comments:

Post a Comment